[whatwg] Re: About XHTML 2.0

Matthew Raymond:
> Christoph P?per wrote:
>
>    The <div> (as well as <span>) does indeed have semantic meaning in
> that it can group things. However, in the case of replacing <hr>, I
> don't see how this semantic information can actually be used to benefit
> the user. It's certainly useless on modern browsers from a presentation
> standpoint if I turn CSS off.

Okay, with the goals of WHAT-WG and HTML5 it's maybe acceptable to
retain 'hr', but for XHTML2, which wants to make a clean re-start, this
unsemantic element type (under whatever name) must go.

>    Oh really? So you're saying that if I have some text...
>
> | Paragraph 3
> | * * *
> | Paragraph 4
>
>    ...it's more natural for an author to do this...

> | </section>
> | <section>
>
> (...) instead of this:

> | <hr>

Yes. It's just like

   Foo
   Bar

versus

     Foo
     Bar.

> | <section>
> | </section>
> | <section>
> | </section>
> | <section>
> | </section>
> | <section>
> | </section>

That's why I said that you could also use 'class' on 'p' instead of
'div' around 'p' to do the grouping. I also don't see a problem with
'div' here, though, because it does just have to group the perspectives
inside a chapter. Of course you would have to add 'div' in all 'section'
of a kind---it doesn't make sense to add that structural layer only
where you want visual separators (at the moment). I know that dropping
'hr' means more mark-up, but also better.

>> in all the alledged use cases that have
>> presented in favor of 'hr' or 'separator', I see a structure (or
>> hierarchy), that demands not a divider but a grouper.
>
> The presentation doesn't demand grouping, it demands a separator.

No, it demands visual /separation/. A separator like 'hr' is just one
way to achieve this. Perhaps the main problem for many (here) is, that
current browsers don't render adjacent 'div' notably.

 > I can't think of any behavior implied by <hr>, and you don't
> provide a use case for why we need the extra grouping elements or how
> they will be used.

I don't want extra grouping element types (if you meant that), 'div' is
just fine.
I already gave examples like extraction or background visuals or audio;
many other stylings are possible (e.g. alternating alignment).