[whatwg] Input type=date UI discussion

From: Olav Junker Kjr <olav@olav.dk>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:45:12 +0200
Dean Edwards wrote:
>> - Date widget appearance: Once the date chooser popup widget has been
>> dismissed, the date in its correct localized format will be displayed
>
> I agree but localisation is hard for us. I'm not sure how we are doing
> that yet. Olav?

Thats the easy part. Using the built-in toLocaleDateString() method on
the Date object, we get the date in unambiguous localized format (month
names spelled out). The hard part is parsing free-form date input, since
the localization is not reversible - the built-in parse method don't
support parsing the localized format. Therefore we are probably going to
support only numeric date input (like 7-8-2005), parsed based on
localization settings. Since the user might be unsure what format to
enter the date in, it's important with the date picker (so you can pick
a date without typing), and with the unambigous localized feedback.

I agree that free-form input is quite nice, eg. if you have to enter
your own birth date, its much faster to type than to pick.

>> - Should the left-most day of the week be Sunday or Monday? Is this a
>> localization issue?

Yes it is. Should depend on the users locale.
(This might be a bit tricky to show if a calendar is used for picking a
week, since ISO weeks always start monday.)

/Olav