[whatwg] XMLHttpRequest: should UA pretend a 304 response is a 200?

From: Jim Ley <jim.ley@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 21:30:35 +0100
On 7/3/05, Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen <hallvord at hallvord.com> wrote:
> So, should we not tell the JavaScript that a 304 response was
> returned, but show the original response including headers? Views?

Absolutely not!  The actual status recieved should be made available,
nothing else is appropriate (I'd also like to see the IE reference
implementation non HTTP status headers also made available)

Whilst I agree, that the issue can catch people out, that's not a good
reason to hobble the interface and make the javascript implementation
have to be different to other implementations that are accessing the
same content.

It's trivial to work around, and more than usable, if you are
interested in your scripts status codes.

Jim.