[whatwg] [WF2] Web Forms 2.0: Repetition and type ID

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 18:41:51 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, fantasai wrote:

> I'd like to suggest that ID attributes use a different syntax than [] to
> mark repetition placeholders, one that fits with the XML restrictions on
> IDs. The current syntax makes it impossible to define ID attributes as
> "type ID" in any of the three major XML validation schemas, which
> affects both the usefulness of authoring tools that rely on IDness (e.g.
> for navigational tags or for catching duplication and referential
> errors) and the integrity of other specs (such as the CSS 2.1
> specification) that rely on such definitions.

It isn't a problem that schemas and DTDs would have problems here, since
HTML5 conformance checkers have to do a lot more than any of the DTD and
schema languages support anyway. I don't understand what you mean when you
say authoring tools would have problems; why would they? I definitely
don't understand what you mean by the integrity of other specs being at
risk.

> I don't care what the syntax is (I suggest :-replaceable-: for lack of
> anything better), and it doesn't have to apply to other attributes where
> [replaceable] is more natural.

Ok, I allowed two other characters to be used in the place of [] as well.