[whatwg] showModalDialog

From: Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen <hallvord@hallvord.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:39:46 +0200
On 1 Jul 2005 at 11:44, Sanghyeon Seo wrote:

> Concerning recent thread about modal and modeless windows, did anyone
> mention showModalDialog already?
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/showmodaldialog.asp
>
> I believe this functionality does come in handy in some cases.
> Microsoft wouldn't have implemented it if there wasn't any demand?

One of the reasons why modal popup-windows are a very bad feature in
a browser is that, unlike a desktop application, you don't really
know what other pages you prevent the user from accessing by throwing
up a modal dialog. To go with the address book example from the
a modal window pops up, I want to go to the tab where my E-mail lives
to copy the address I wanted to put in my address book and ... ouch,
can't get to the E-mail because I use an integrated browser/mail
client application and the modal dialog blocks access to all the
tabs.

I don't think showModalDialog should be in WHAT's spec. I think
current DHTML/AJAX tricks offer adequate solutions for modal dialogs.
--
Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen
http://www.hallvord.com/