[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 - what does it extend , definition of same,relation to XForms, implementation reqs.

James,

I basically agree with you. There are multiple paths to building apps:
"Street HTML" (as Opera calls it) and (as you call it) "XML Soup". Modern
browsers to varying degrees support both the HTML-centric and XML-centric
approaches, just as Visual Studio support multiple languages. So I believe
it's valid to discuss (in the topic of extending modern browsers) how much
to push the one side vs. the other. For example the side discussion that
this thread somehow triggered about client-side XSLT goodness is clearly
relevant to the XML-centric application approach, and it is or soon will be
supported in 3 of the top 4 browsers. But yes, ultimately the market will
decide how applications will be built and deployed: developers will vote
with their feet.

I do disagree with the assertion that I was taking the technology point of
view on the C++ vs. C point and its application to the HTML vs. XML
application discussion. Yes it's futile to second-guess history, and I agree
the potential merits from the point of view of users (developers) is all
that matters. But just because developers adopted C++ doesn't prove it
delivered the best value proposition (in isolation) of all potential
solutions. The decisions of people at Microsoft and others to support and
market C++ were instrumental in creating the total value proposition that
led to C++ winning. Just as the decisions of people at Mozilla, Opera, and
Apple (and of course Microsoft still) will be critical parts of creating the
total value proposition around both HTML and XML-centric applications. I am
merely pushing for you guys to make decisions in the interests of those
users as you balance your efforts between HTML- and XML-centric
capabilities, I don't give a hoot about technical merits in isolation.

I also agree "worse is better"... But this principle is always "... to a
point". A toolbox doesn't just contain a hammer, even though a hammer is a
"worse is better" solution to a lot of problems. We've all built a lot of
great server-based HTML apps in recent years, but precious few of them
deliver the user experience quality of a basic VB desktop app. Demands for
usability are rising but the complexity of HTML app development scales
nonlinearly as even semi-usable experiences are sought. Amazon and Expedia
are not bad but look what they expend in dev costs. Gmail is pretty rich but
look at Google's resources. It has to be possible to build rich apps,
simply. As someone else said in another thread somewhere "it's 2005 and
we're still talking about rollovers". I happen to believe that "Street HTML"
just won't cut it for building rich interactive clients that are highly
usable (by the ultimately users, end users not developers), and that the
best "worse is better" foundation lies in the XML technologies that have
been established in recent years (XHTML among them), and that promoting
these technologies would be better for the open/web community than letting
proprietary tools win. Clearly a number of people on this list do not agree.
We will see.

--Bill

Bill McCoy
Adobe Systems Incorporated