[whatwg] Value attribute

Matthew Raymond wrote:
>    In general, if you set a DOM property, it won't set the actual
> attribute in markup. In order to change the markup, I think you have to
> use the setAttribute method. However, I believe that the setAttribute
> method does change the DOM property.

Did a quick test: In Mozilla, IE and Opera setting an ordinary attribute
through a DOM property seems to be equivalent to using setAttribute. The
"value" property is handled differently though. In IE and Opera
getAttribute("value") returns the same as the "value" DOM property,
while in Mozilla it returns the same as the defaultValue property (which
is the correct behavior, I think). However, using innerHTML in Opera
seem to serialize the element correctly by using the defaultValue
property as at content of the value HTML, as does Mozilla.

Anyway, your original statment that DOM Range couldn't work on the
current value in an input field seems to be correct. The DOM Range may
work on an Attr node but not any DOM attribute. The current value is in
the DOM in the form of an property, but not in the form of a DOM Attr node.

regards
Olav