[whatwg] Re: several messages

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Matthew Raymond wrote:

> On a slightly unrelated note, I just realized a short time ago that the
> Microsoft sabotage scenario could happen just as easily if <idate>, or
> any part of it, were left out of the spec as it would be if it were
> included as-is. All Microsoft would have to do is implement flawed
> non-inheritance support (to mess up my version of <idate>), or implement
> my version in its entirety for either Ian's position or yours. So I
> don't think manipulating the markup is going to keep Microsoft from
> screwing us if it so desires...

The odds of anyone intentionally "sabotaging" a standard or proposal in
this way is basically zero, and not really worth any thought, IMHO.

As far as I am aware, every occurance of a "sabotage" in the Web world in
the past 15 years has been due to misunderstandings, an accident,
oversight, or plain stupidity, and none were intentional or malicious.