[whatwg] Menus, fallback, and backwards compatibility: ideas wanted

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Matthew Raymond wrote:
>>Thought:
>>
>>| <menu>
>>|   <li command="cmd_in_head1">Menu Item 1</li>
>>| </menu>
>>
>>Hmm.
>
> That could work. It's an advanced feature though. (Anything involving
> indirection is going to be harder for users; the more indirection, the
> harder it is, IMHO. This is one reason <font> is easier than CSS.) I'd
> expect use of the command="" attribute to be much rarer than just use of
> <command> itself:
>
>    <menu>
>      <command .../>
>      <command .../>
>      <command .../>
>    </menu>
>
> (Falls back to a line break.)

   Doesn't the following do the same?

<menu>
  <option label="1"/>
  <option label="2"/>
  <option label="3"/>
</menu>

   We can just use <option> elements instead of <command> when we need
to hide menus. If we're going to support <select> elements as menu
fallback markup, <menu> will have to support <option> elements anyways.
This frees up <command> to be used specifically in the <head>.