[whatwg] Menus, fallback, and backwards compatibility: ideas wanted

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 21:59:04 +0100
Quoting Matthew Raymond <mattraymond at earthlink.net>:
> First, I don't like the idea of abuse of legacy markup any more than
> I like abuse of current markup. Second, <option> already has a |label|
> attribute.

Indeed, it has. Somehow I missed that.

Another idea I had was to make the first <option> element when it has a
particular ancestor element a label. So instead of saying it explicitly
it gets
its semantics from where it appears.

<cmd>
  <option>this is the label
  <select>
   <option>this is not
  </select>
</cmd>

... or:

<cmd>
  <select>
   <option>this is the label
  </select>
</cmd>

> <cmd> as the parent instead. Why not just return to using

As noted earlier in this thread <cmd> was just some random name that has to be
replaced at some point, not? Anyway, I think <menu> should be reserved for
dropdown lists, but I don't feel strongly about that.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>