[whatwg] Some likeness of DOM Session scope

At first, I envisioned a fairly simplistic (perhaps naiive would be a
better word) functionality:

An initially empty JS object, which survives from request to request
until the browser window is closed. This object is implicitly
instantiated once per session for each domain, and is the same across
all windows/tabs.

Being the associative array that it is, the object can be populated by
whatever data or functions that need to survive throughout the
session.

Obviously, you can see some serious potential security, memory usage,
and just plain compartmentalization issues here.

Then, after reading the thread, it seemed that maybe I am looking at
the problem from the wrong end:

Maybe it would a better idea to introduce functionality that
standardizes a usability-perfect simulation of a request within the
same page? I think that is what Brad is writing about.

In other words, instead of trying to come up with a vehicle that
allows you to pass data across independent requests, devise ways to:

* identify (create) state of an application inside of a  page
* communicate it to the browser's address bar and history navigation
* restore the state when the browser asks for it (via back/forward or bookmark).

With this in place, history can be manipulated at will and a
transparent user experience of browsing multiple pages can be created
within the same actual page.

I believe Microsoft has toyed with this concept in IE5 by introducing
#default#saveFavorite and #default#saveHistory behaviors.

Or maybe it's both: a serializable/deserializable persistence
mechanism across independents requests and the way to manipulate the
history.

What do you guys think?

:DG<