[whatwg] Scripting Tweaks

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Dean Edwards wrote:

> The use case is a web app that submits data to a hidden iframe. This is
> common in JSP type backends. The hidden frame then updates the page with
> new data. Maybe this is just me working on projects that are designed
> wrong! Anyone else encounter this scenario?

So you'd submit to a hidden <iframe> and then disable the main page?

In past projects of this nature I used to create a new <iframe> each time
I submitted something, so there'd be no problem submitting multiple times,
it would just update the UI multiple times (and if they shouldn't, then I
would prevent the submission by disabling the entry points to submitting).

More recently I just spawn a new XMLHttpRequest for each submission.

> I can't think of one off the top of my head but I do find myself using
> it. It's certainly handy for passing string references around rather
> than object references.

Wouldn't object references by lighter weight?