[whatwg] XPointer

> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, Laurens Holst wrote:
> >
> > What about requiring XPointer support in UA's? Would certainly make
> > linking to a point inside another document a whole lot easier, as
> > opposed to having to rely on the document author's application of ID's
> > on every section.
>
> Requiring XPointer support is the job of the XPointer spec, not the WHATWG
> specs.

If this is the case, an obvious quick look shows two things that WF2
requires support of outside its scope, so...

Please update the WF2 specification to remove its current dependance
on user agents implementing HTML 4.01 (or XHTML)

Please update the WF2 specification to remove its current dependance
on the ECMA 262 specification (the required regular expression)

There is nothing wrong with requiring implementation of another
specification, indeed it's much better than defining everything
yourself.  I don't want the WHAT-WG to define a regular expression
language for example, it would be ridiculous.

Of course you may have legitimate reasons for not requiring XPointer
support, but please give them and not write rubbish like above.

Jim.