[whatwg] [html5] 2.8. Edits

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 10:14:00 +0200
Now I know backwards compatibility is important[1], but DEL and INS are
insanely complex to use and do not cover all "edit" use cases. What
XHTML2 does makes more sense to me (introducing a global attribute) and
also covers the use cases you see most online.

Editing forum posts, weblog posts, etc. With forum posts there is mostly
a note that the user edited his comment but you never see
"though<ins>t</ins>". You see something like: "Last time edited:
{date}". Now if you could say somehow that the contents of some element
have been modified:

  <article edit="modified" datetime="{datetime}">

You could easily present that information to the user using CSS or some
other mechanism. INS and DEL are IMHO not really appropriate for those
kind of edits.

[1]<http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1113762425&count=1>

--
  Anne van Kesteren