[whatwg] [WA1] Specifying Character Encoding

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 11:18:11 +0300
On Apr 9, 2005, at 09:29, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> In the current draft, for specifying the character encoding [1], it is
> stated:
> | Authors should avoid including inline character encoding information.

Since many current UAs do not reserialize docs with inline character
encoding information when saving to disk, I think it is appropriate and
mostly harmless to specify UTF-8 both in the HTTP header and inline.

> For X(HT)ML, according to the Architecture of the World Wide Web,
> Volume One - Media types for XML [2]:
>
> | In general, a representation provider SHOULD NOT specify the
> character
> | encoding for XML data in protocol headers since the data is
> | self-describing.

Too bad RFC 3023 gives bad advice and insists on harmful defaults for
text/*.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi