[whatwg] [html5] tags, elements and generated DOM

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 20:11:23 +0300
On Apr 7, 2005, at 13:58, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>
>> And how does the XML part of your world feel about [not having a DTD
>> meaning they can't use entities]? (I like the idea for HTML.)
>
> The current draft says that there is no particular DTD for XHTML5. It
> doesn't stop anyone from using one if they want to use entities. I
> suppose
> we could include one that just had the entities and had a known FPI so
> that UAs could permanently cache it. *shrug*

I am very hostile towards the idea of requiring UAs to implement any
XML parsing features that are in the realm of the XML 1.0 spec but that
the XML 1.0 spec does not require. This means processing the DTD beyond
checking the internal subset for well-formedness.

I would rather suggest that What WG specs explicitly discourage people
from using a doctype on the XHTML side and point out that authors
should not expect UAs to process the DTD.

Those who want to use entities for input, should parse and reserialize
as UTF-8 in their own lair and not expose their entity references (or
parochial legacy encodings) to the public network.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/