[whatwg] Re: <section> and headings and other threads

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:45:07 +0100, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> [Redirected to whatwg at whatwg.org. According to the mail headers in the
> message I received, you sent it to www-style at w3.org. I can't find it in
> the archives of either www-style nor whatwg, though.]

Oops :)

>> If <address> applies only to the element it's in,
>> some duplication may be needed:
>>
>> My articles on my page:
>> 	<article>
>> 		<address>me!</address>
>> 	</article>
>> 	<article>
>> 		<address>me!</address>
>> 	</article>
>> 	<address>me!</address>
>>
>> I think best would be <address for=IDREFS>
>
> I don't really understand. Why would you want to give the contact
> information for the inner articles if it is the same as for the section
> that contains them? The inner <article>s are part of the <body>. Contact
> information for the <body> applies to the whole <body>.

"The article element represents a section of a page that consists of a
composition that forms an independent part of a document"

I assumed that because of this independence it needs its own <address>
element.

>> How about inline <aside>?
>> For inline comments, explanations, translators notes, etc.

>> thingie)</aside></p>
>
> <aside> is for what are typically rendered in printed media as floating
> sidebars. Short inline comments are catered for by the "title" attribute:

>   drive</span></p>

Title attribute is not immediately visible on page and requires reader to
pause
and wait for it to appear.

> ...or, more typically, simply by marking the comment with parentheses, as
> you did in your example:

I think good use of aside element is possiblity to 'clean up' articles
 from comments:
article aside {display: none;}

This also may be useful for search engines - they could omit <aside>
in quoted page fragments.

That element could play role as opposite of <em> and <strong>.

--
regards, Kornel Lesinski