[whatwg] [html5] tags, elements and generated DOM

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> I was wondering if HTML5 (WA1, at the moment) is going to define which
> tags are optional and which elements are implied. (This is of course
> only for text/html documents.)

Yes.

> For example, what is the resulting DOM of this document:
>
>  <title>Foo</title>
>  <script type="text/javascript" src="bar"></script>
>
> ... and this:
>
>  <script type="text/javascript" src="bar"></script>
>  <title>Foo</title>
>
> ..?

If I am not mistaken:

> Are both part of the implied HEAD element or is the SCRIPT element in
> the first example perhaps part of the BODY element? I believe both are
> possible.

This is not ambiguous in SGML, which defines this in detail.

> Is there a BODY element in this document (or, is there always a body
> element?):

>   body{ background:lime }
>
> ... or this:
>
>  <title>Bar</title>

In HTML4 those are invalid (<body> can't be empty). The <body> will always
e implied, though. (For backwards compatibility with legacy parsers, the
<head> probably won't be.)

> Is HTML5 going to list which start- and endtags are optional and how the
> resulting DOM tree should look like in situations were there are
> multiple options?

In HTML4 there are never multiple options, but the answer to your question
is yes.