[whatwg] <h1> to <h6> in <body>

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Matthew Thomas wrote:

> > [titles should include more context than h1s]
>
> This requires that the site be small enough for humans to bother
> assembling the <title> in every page (rather than it being assembled by
> a CMS that doesn't know whether to use "to" or "used during" or "in" or
> whatever else), *and* that the author's carefulness and boredom
> thresholds are such that they will adapt the necessary context in the
> <title> for every page. That's highly implausible.

Actually it happens all the time. Certainly it is as plausible as the fact
that authors are going to be writing, say, valid markup.

> I'd like search engines to be able to show me the title of a page in the
> same consistent position in a search result, and the name of the site
> (if available) in the same consistent position in a search result, and
> the name of the author (if available) in the same consistent position in
> a search result.
>
> For that to happen, it would help slightly if the HTML specification
> stopped SHOULD-ing the current <title> behavior. It would help more if
> the HTML specification contained clear, straightforward markup for
> author and site name (and encouraged UAs to present this information
> when the document is taken out of context).

There are several options here, some of the easiest would be:

   <title site="" publisher="" author="">Page Title</title>

...or if people want to also provide links:

   <title>Page Title</title>
   <link rel="top" title="" href="">
   <link rel="publisher" title="" href="">
   <link rel="author" title="" href="">

I've noted your request and these options.

Am I right in assuming that this request does not affect the headers
discussion?