[whatwg] Comments to Web Forms 2.0 downloaded 2004-09-18

On 21 Sep, 2004, at 3:24 AM, Mattias Waldau wrote:
> It should be possible to use ENTER to navigate through fields (Major)
>
> All software except browser just Enter to jump to the next control.
> For some reason web form uses tab only and Enter means submit.

Since the HTML spec doesn't require any particular behavior in that
regard, if a UA on a particular platform isn't following the keyboard
conventions for that platform, you should take that up with the UA
vendor.

But just out of interest, on what platform is this "all software"
you're talking about? In all versions of Windows, Mac OS, Gnome and KDE
that I've used, Tab goes to the next control and Enter submits a
dialog.

> AUTOCOMPLETE should apply to all input controls (Medium)
>
> It seems that autocomplete doesn't apply to radio buttons and
> checkboxes, why? If I entered data and the browser remembers them, it
> should remember all of them.

But autocomplete= isn't for allowing UAs to remember data for an
element. Autocomplete= is for asking UAs *not* to remember data for an
element (and is only implemented for those controls where banks
threaten to throw their toys out of the pram and block the UA if it's
not). There's nothing stopping UAs from remembering previously used
values of option buttons and checkboxes -- except for its
pointlessness, since (unlike text fields) choosing the correct value
directly would be quicker than choosing it from an autocomplete menu.
But again, since the HTML spec doesn't require any particular behavior
in that regard, if a particular UA isn't behaving the way you want you
should take that up with the UA vendor.

> Do OUTPUT-fields have a TABINDEX? (Minor)
>
> If not, they need to have it. If you have very long forms, and the
> bottom part is a big presentation of calculated values, you need to be
> able to scroll down. The best way is to set a tabstop and one of the
> OUTPUT-controls.

That problem isn't unique to pages with <output> elements. It would
also exist for pages with, for example, long terms-of-use agreements
above their "I Accept" button. So that would be better solved by a more
general solution, such as (for example) the Escape key removing focus
from any form control so that the arrow keys could work for scrolling
the page. Again, that's the business of the UA vendor, not any markup
language specification.

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/