[whatwg] RE: Degrading of web applications

From: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:16:24 +0100

On 11 Sep 2004, at 16:43, Jim Ley wrote:

>> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Jim Ley wrote:
>> If application providers
>> consider that compatibility with non-JS browsers (and browsers with JS
>> disabled) is not critical, then that is an important datapoint.
>
> It is, unfortunately, it's also something that won't fly in the
> application world of the EU, where anti-discrimination employment laws
> will cripple any attempt to have this fly

What are the exact terms of the act? Does it specifically mention
scripting? It seems more plausible (to me, without reading the act)
that it asserts that websites must be accessible to disabled people.
IIRC, many browsers for people with disabilities allow javascript
(principally those which plug in to some other browser such as IE). So
it's not requiring js in itself that's problematic, it's uses of
scripting that don't work well in non-visual browsers.