[whatwg] Re: <section> and headings

From: Matthew Thomas <mpt@myrealbox.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 00:00:23 +1200
> The "A level $level heading is missing" approach is terrible UI (for a
> client application rather than for the validator) because the user
> doesn't care that the markup is imperfect and has no way to fix the
> problem anyway. So even with pure HTML4 I would expect any client app
> to produce an outline like:
>
> Heading 1
> |--Heading 2
>    |--Heading 4
>
> As I've mentioned, I don't really think the HTML 4 heading model is
> robust enough to create structure. Hence my desire to tweak it.

"...Therefore, while there is useful info in the [Hn elements], it is
not uncommon for multiple [headings] in the same [branch] to have
seemingly-contradictory [levels], so threading code must make an effort
to do the right thing in the face of conflicting data..."
<http://www.jwz.org/doc/threading.html>

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/