[whatwg] Search controls & User Agent detection of

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 08:35:23 +0930, Daniel O'Connor
<daniel.oconnor at gmail.com> wrote:
> Its more applicable for Web Applications or just sites in general: an
> automagical way to point to a search control would be very, very
> handy.

I'm not sure of the point of requesting this here, the WHAT-WG appears
to be dead, none of the Members have posted for many weeks, and
requests as to the status have gone completely unanswered, the
original aim was to have implementations shipped by Christmas, as
that's 2 months away and we've not even had a working draft for
months.  I don't really see the point spending too much effort on the
list until some more info is coming through.

> <link rel="Search" href="#search" title="Site Search"> (note the use
> of a fragment)
>
> <form name="search">
> <input type="input" name="q">
> <input type="submit">
> </form>
>
> We pretty much already have this - but encouraging authors to do so
> would make things a lot better.

Are you suggesting that the q form name would be a special cased
requirement? That and the single text box part might be inconvenient
for legacy folk, not sure of an alternative - maybe the href could be
#q, which if the form element is constrained to a single form would
achieve teh same thing  (of course form elements aren't limited to a
single form in WHAT-WG despite good explanations as to the use-case,
or exactly how the transition from non WHAT-WG UA's work).

I like the idea, as you say it's much requested.

Jim.