[whatwg] [html5] thoughts

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 22:01:19 +0200
On Nov 9, 2004, at 16:48, Ian Hickson wrote:

> I'd rather drop the entire <q> element than introduce that kind of
> verbosity.

+1

> But better would be to find another solution altogether.

How about the author actually inserting the proper characters in the
first place?

> (e.g. adding a feature to CSS to let CSS automatically remove the
> quote marks from inside quotations so that they can be replaced with
> typographically better ones.)

In my opinion, solving input method problems at the data format level
or in the display software is generally a bad idea. This needs to be
solved on the OS text input method layer or, failing that, in the
editing app.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi