[whatwg] Simple solution for select editable

From: voracity <subs@voracity.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 00:00:01 +1000
Matthew Raymond wrote:

>    I've come up with a simple solution that allows <select editable> to
> degrade gracefully in Web Forms 2.0. Just put the extra text box in a
> repetition template that has zero instances:
>
> <select editable="editable" name="thing">
>   <option>1</option>
>   <option>2</option>
>   <option>3</option>
> </select>
>   or you can type a new entry: <input type="text" name="thing_new">

This would work as well. You would need to add a 'newname' attribute to the
select, or make newly entered values be sent with a name produced by adding
'_new' to the end of the select name.

It's not explicit about how it degrades (it relies on the editable attribute,
and repetitions being introduced to UAs together), but I don't think that's a
big issue.