[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 comments

apologies - forgot to cc the list on this

Quoting Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch>:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, Sander wrote:
> >
> > The main reason for this is found in content management systems (as I
> > create them), where roughly up to 95% of all input elements will
> > potentially contain user-submitted data.
>
> But how often would you put user-submitted data in _template_ elements?

Basically every time I'd use a template in a CMS 'generated' by a meta-CMS.
I also have worked on a system (which I'm not at liberty to discuss in
detail unfortunately) where the user first creates a "newstemplate" for a
future "newslisting" at a number of different but related websites, which
"newstemplate" is automatically filled in whenever a new "newslisting" is
created, replicated (by the user) a number of times (this right now is done
through a round-trip to the server), modified slightly for each instance,
and submitted en-masse. (It's a kinda clunky and ugly solution, but the
specific requirements make it the only solution.)

> You could do that by using a linear range then interpreting it as a
> power.

But that doesn't give accurate feedback to the user. (I don't seem to be
able to quickly track down images of standard range controls for all the
main OSes, but isn't there usually _some_ feedback on the actually selected
value, for example through a tooltip?)

(I like the latest changes made to the repetition model, btw)

Sander