[whatwg] Re: Web Forms 2: Altenative to <select editable>

From: Malcolm Rowe <malcolm-what@farside.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:50:15 +0100
Ian Hickson writes:
> Ok I read the thread on <select editable> and here is a summary of the
> ideas that seemed worth considering:
>
> [<select editable>]
> Con: In down-level clients, can only select from the list.

To be honest, I think that this 'Con' is a show-stopper for this method. If
we have to choose between the legacy version being a 'select' or being 'an
editable' (i.e., a text box), then I think we should choose the latter.

As you point out, we do also have the option of using both: a text box
paired with a select, in some form. While that provides the right
functionality in legacy clients, it'd be quite complex to author and use (at
the server-side), and I'd imagine, very complex for UA authors to support.

Just for the record, what I eventually ended up suggesting was something you
didn't mention. It worked out to something like this:

   <input type="email" name="test" data="...">
    <option>foo</option>
    <option>bar</option>
   </input>

.. but I also noted several problems with that approach.

Regards,
Malcolm