[whatwg] Re: autocomplete=off

From: Jim Ley <jim.ley@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:36:57 +0100
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:58:53 +0100, Malcolm Rowe
<malcolm-what at farside.org.uk> wrote:
> I guess that they're ok that anyone savvy enough to set a hidden pref (for
> Mozilla; I *don't know* how to disable it in IE), is also someone that
> understands the consequences.

Which is why it makes sense to me for it to be a SHOULD.  it's what
should's for after all, you can further constrain it within the spec
with the default behaviour MUST be, users need to be made aware etc.

> I do understand your frustration about including this in the spec as a MUST,
> but then having no (strictly) compliant implementations. Whether the ability
> to disable something is strictly equivalent to non-support of an attribute,

If a WF2 client MUST not do something, then if it does do it, it won't
be a conformant WF2 client anymore...  Makes sense to me.

Jim.