[Fwd: Re: [whatwg] Chrome, Security and Popup Blocking]

From: Chris Kaminski <chris@setmajer.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:58:11 +0100
<delurk>

> Can you point me to the press release or article where it
> says MS is removing support for chromeless windows, or is
> this something you heard from MS employees behind the scenes?
> Will this be part of a service release for IE6, or is it
> going into IE7?

This is a misunderstanding, I think. As of WinXP SP1, IE will not allow the
creation of 'chromeless' windows (no title bar or close/minimize/hide
buttons; <http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex8/chromeless.htm>). As of
WinXP SP2, the status bar will be present by default and any attempt to open
a window off-screen will be thwarted, among other restrictions (see 'Window
Restrictions' on:
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html
/xpsp2websites.asp>).

As an aside, you can check through the forum/wiki threads Scoble points to
here: <http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/2004/06/16.html#a7779>; they're
mostly dealing with standards support in IE, but a few IE team members have
popped in to discuss & have given a fair bit of info on what lies ahead for
IE 6 & 7 on Windows.

ck

</delurk>