[whatwg] Comments on Web Forms 2.0

Peter-Paul Koch wrote:

>> I would start using it immediately.  Not just in new projects, or as a
>> new strategy and direction for development, I'd just start using it.
>> No other upcoming developments offer this possibility.
>
> I feel exactly the same. In fact, I've decided to implement Web Forms in
> my standard JavaScript form validation module. It won't be ready for
> quite some time yet, but this specification is exactly what I need.
>
>> But coding each of these things in Javascript is challenging -- it
>> requires extensive testing, and it's common that the result won't be
>> extensible, robust, or sufficiently general.
>

> Sure, but it's not *that* difficult.

Sure.  But *I* don't want to do it for each project.  I don't think we
actually disagree -- I'm just saying that a lot of these DHTML tricks
(server side programmers tend to see these as tricks, at least) aren't
as widely used because of the difficulty of implementing and maintaining
them.

The spec makes these more accessible, even if the underlying
implementation (in Javascript) has been possible for a while now.  I was
just arguing that the spec is meaningful and useful despite the fact
that all its pieces can be implemented now regardless of any spec.

   Ian