[whatwg] Why not JavaScript?

Peter-Paul Koch wrote:

> First of all, when I read the (very interesting) position paper, it
> struck me that every described feature can be implemented in JavaScript
> *right now*, maybe except for the server sent events and the clipboard
> api (but even in those cases it might be possible).

As far as server-sent events, my company has implemented something like
this using the XMLHttpRequest object (http://www.mozilla.org/xmlextras/)
which is available in both Moz, IE and Safari (but not Opera, I
believe).  It's still client-side pull, but you can basically establish
an HTTP "tunnel" to simulate server-side push, and it's all controllable
via JavaScript.  Apple has a good page on it at
http://developer.apple.com/internet/webcontent/xmlhttpreq.html

> Therefore I wondered why we'd have to invent a wholly new language to do
> what can already be done, especially when we'd have to wait about three
> to five years before browsers start to support it, and with the extreme
> likelihood that IE won't support it anyway.

I think this is the crux of it.  Even if the end goal of this project is
to create something like an XUL or XAML substitute, the more immediate
goal should be the practical application of existing (or easily
implementable new) technologies to solve the problem of building rich
web apps.  Let's fully identify the problem, and the solution will be
more forthcoming.

Regards,

Bill