[whatwg] about rich internat applications

From: Frank Krul <Frank.Krul@morganstanley.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 14:37:59 -0300

> Hi Frank. I wasn't arguing that reliability, ease of programmer use,
> and performance are enough for a standard to win; I was just
> emphasizing them because I wasn't hearing others talk about them, and
> I think they very important to a standard winning, though not enough.

You're right of course, I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents by pointing
out (that in my opinion) the best scenario is to continue browser
development.  Those of us in the financial World are running out of
options for rich client side Web-based clients for representing complex
market data/real-time info......page refreshes and Iframes don't cut
it.  I don't want to force Flash, or java applets on anybody, but what
else our our options?  Enabling Active X controls in our end-users
browsers?  Ouch.

These browsers are reaching critical mass with the end-user feature set
(pop-up blocking, tabs, modifiable chromes), the market needs new
standards for developers, otherwise everyone is going to be creating
proprietary javascript APIs to emulate these needed behaviors.  I don't
want my Web developers to be supporting that kind of scenario.

Frank Krul