[whatwg] Re: media types

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:45:21 +0100, Malcolm Rowe
<malcolm-what at farside.org.uk> wrote:

> Ok. Something like 'if media=projection, bind arrow keys to move to
> next/previous section'? That sounds fair enough.

UA's should provide these keybindings for navigating. An example
application of scripts that should only work in media="projection" are
animation scripts. It would be very ugly to have animations active in
regular screen display.

> I'm a firm believer in  the 'one document to rule them all' device-
> independence idea, but there's no reason to prevent authors from
> customisingfor specific devices, I guess.

I agree that documents should be readable on as many as possible devices,
but I also believe in tailoring documents for specific mediatypes. There
are huge differences between for instance projection and handheld media,
so why not try to optimize for both by using specific scripts and style
rules?

> Should the UA fire an event when changing the media type? (Opera's
> full-screen mode, for example).

I would like to see that actually... yes, it can be abused terribly, but
it can also be put to good use.

> I know. I never suggested it was a good idea, but I'm rather pleased
> with the 'eurgh' response it seems to have elicited from everyone. :-)

I despise it, but I use it... for lack of better alternative.

> No, the thing that I was objecting to more was that the noun 'medium',
> without any context, is far from obvious as a description. I'm not sure
> that 'mediaType' is that likely to be confused with Content-Type, but if
> it is, use something else.I just think that someone reading
> 'window.medium' is likely to think: "whatabout window.small or
> window.large?". I know I would.

window.media ?

--
Mark Schenk