[whatwg] Proposal for a combined input control

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 18:13:19 +0100, Ben Meadowcroft
<ben at benmeadowcroft.com> wrote:
> User agents that understand the web forms mark-up would submit the values
> as one combined value (a simple concatenation of the values perhaps).

Is this really a particularly useful optimisation, what does it give the author?

> This control would be useful for entering long numbers such as credit card
> info or serial numbers, input focus could automatically pass to the next
> box in the group to speed up data entry.

Are there any studies which actually shows this is easier - because
the OS IP entry control is the one I have most problems with, I find
the auto-focusing really hard to use.

Is this unusual?

Otherwise though, I much prefer this sort of solution for entering dates.

Jim.