[whatwg] Suggested changes to Web Forms 2.0, 2004-07-01 working

Matthew Raymond wrote:

> Jim Ley wrote:
>
>> HTC's like scriptlets and other ostensibly script things require
>> trusted ActiveX activation permission.  What are your stats on this?
>> Especially on the more corporate, heavy consumer of web-apps?
>
> [Snip.]
>
>> Why are HTC's the only solution?
>

>    To be honest, I'm not qualified to answer, so perhaps I spoke in
> ignorance. Dean Edwards is better qualified to answer this line of
> questioning. In the meanwhile, I'll read up on the subject.

I think I can answer this.

Behaviors do not require trusted ActiveX permissions. Even if you
disable ActiveX in IE behaviors will work. You'll have to disable
ActiveScripting (JScript/VBScript) to disable behaviors. You can also
use a user style sheet to disable behaviors.

Behaviors are not the only solution but they have one important feature
that is hard to achieve efficiently without using behaviors and that is
that the element is can be initialized when it is started, ended or when
the document is loaded. Normal Javascript is usually initiated when the
page is loaded and this is too late for most real world scenarios. One
can initialize the element earlier but that requires inline script
elements or polling.

HTC stands for HTML components and this file ending was initially used
for scriptlets. Scriptlets are a specific plugin type which is used with
the object element in HTML.

erik