[whatwg] Re: Seperation of Content and Interface

From: Malcolm Rowe <malcolm-what@farside.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:52:59 +0100
Matthew Raymond writes:
>    Whereas you'd have them forced to have two navigation bars, one in the
> web page, and one as part of the browser that doesn't even work because
> the web page doesn't have any relevant <link> elements.

Apropos of nothing, ISTR that jwz filed a bugzilla bug asking for some way
to determine whether a given UA supported (and was currently configured to
display) the <link> element, so that it would be possible to determine when
a browser-based navigation bar was being displayed, and hence hide the
'legacy' HTML navigation bar. I believe that Media Queries were suggested as
the appropriate mechanism.

mpt is right, though: If *most* UAs 'supported' (by which I also mean 'and
displayed, at least by default') a navigation bar based on the <link>
element, then authors would rely on the behaviour, and would use <link>.

Since most UAs do not support <link>, and since authors have no easy way to
determine whether a given user has a visible navigation bar, there is
actually a slight dis-incentive for authors to include <link> elements, for
precisely the reason that you give (and similarly, a slight dis-incentive
for browser implementors to support it).

Regards,
Malcolm