[whatwg] Re: Doctype FPI

Jim Ley writes:
> +//IDN whatwg.org//Web Forms2//EN
>
> Personally I prefer the registered through domain name method, rather
> than unregistered with WHATWG in it, I think it's neater.

Oh, that's much better. I didn't even realise that was possible[1].

With that in mind, I'd like to change my proposal to
"+//IDN whatwg.org//DTD HTML 4.01 plus Web Forms 2.0//EN"

As Hixie and Jim have both mentioned, it's likely to change when it's
standardised.

If we want to be able to refer to a particular version, we can provide both
'specific', dated, versions, and also a 'latest' version, like the W3C do
with the following HTML DTDs:

* 'Latest' HTML 4.0 DTD (currently HTML 4.01):
  http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/strict.dtd
* Specific HTML 4.0 DTD (HTML 4.01):
  http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/strict.dtd
* Specific HTML 4.0 DTD (HTML 4.0):
  http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-html40-19980424/strict.dtd

Regards,
Malcolm

[1] It's defined at http://www.y12.doe.gov/sgml/wg8/document/1960.htm,
section 'K.4.6 Internet domain names in public identifiers', in case anyone
else is trying to find the source.