[whatwg] internationalization/localization

Jim Ley wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 00:14:52 +0100, Dean Edwards <dean at edwards.name> wrote:
>
>> despite your claims, it is not trivial to do with javascript.
>
> Sure it is, either copy the inputted value into a hidden element, or
> on submit strip the characters.  If that's not considered trivial then
> I'm even more sure that scripting will not provide an appropriate
> enhanced behaviour on legacy clients.

this is scripting + altered markup. it also says nothing about actually
formatting the data.

> This isn't even behaviour I've seen asked for on comp.lang.javascript,
> and a lot of the people asking don't even know how complicated a task
> is when asking, so I don't believe that authors are not doing it
> because of a percieved complicatedness.  For example I know you could
> do it easily and safely, I'm confident I could (but have never been
> asked) and lots of other folk I know creating sites.

formatted data entry is extremely common. gui tools from the 90's have
this functionality (visual basic, delphi etc). most gui's format data
after input (it provides satisfying feedback to the user). a web browser
is practically unique in not doing this.

i banged on about formatted data entry in a previous thread:
http://listserver.dreamhost.com/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2004-June/000340.html

i think this is important. it increases usability - very slightly. but
multiply that by the number of users. it's worth doing.

-dean