[whatwg] internationalization/localization

From: Jim Ley <jim.ley@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 23:28:48 +0100
On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:34:19 +0100, Dean Edwards <dean at edwards.name> wrote:
> a user enters this in a number field:
>  ---------------
> |500000         |
>  ---------------
>
> after tabbing out the number gets formatted like this for a french user:
>  ---------------
> |500.000,00     |
>  ---------------
>
> it gets formatted like this for a UK user:
>  ---------------
> |500,000.00     |
>  ---------------

How do you identify the format the user wants?  Is it purely on OS
settings, are users happy with this happening - I know I'd definately
_not_ want such formatting to happen - I'd like what I entered
submitted, but I realise I may not be "normal"

> this is a common requirement for web applications

Could you show me a site that does this - since it's possible (indeed
trivial) with javascript I assume if it is a common requirement sites
would already be doing it.  I've never had it even suggested let alone
spec'd.

Jim.