[whatwg] overriding MIME type in accept attribute?

From: Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen <hallvors@online.no>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 01:40:44 +0200
This part of the WF2 spec about the file upload: "accept" attribute
seems a bit odd to me:

> UAs may allow the user to override the MIME type to be one of the
> allowable types if the file is originally incorrectly labeled (but
> should not allow users to override the type merely to let
> submission continue, as that would defeat the point of having a
> restriction in the first place)

How is the UA to allow the user to override a MIME type and how on
earth is it supposed to know the user's motivation for doing so?

Another issue: on Windows, if I try to upload a file with no
extension, how is the UA supposed to work out what the MIME type is?
Content sniffing?

--
HRMS