[whatwg] Suggestion for Menus in Web Forms 2.0

From: Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 18:19:46 -0500
Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Matthew Raymond wrote:
>>   Yeah, I'm aware of that. The idea with <select multiple> was to allow
>>something that could, if the UA vendor chooses, be rendered as a simple
>>tree view. Full-blown tree view markup would probably exceed menu
>>systems in complexity.
>
> Well, nothing stops UAs from implementing <select multiple> using a tree
> view today.

    Not entirely true. Remember that <optgroup>, in HTML 4.01, can't be
nested. Therefore, at best you only have two levels, which doesn't lend
itself well to a tree. Therefore, under the existing HTML standard,
there's little or no incentive to use a tree view. Heck, we have a hard
enough time getting vendors to implement |label| for <option> elements!
(Say, can we get <option label=""> support into the WF2 emulation for IE?)