[whatwg] Suggestion: New "input-redirect" CSS property.

On 27 Aug, 2004, at 3:34 PM, Sander wrote:
> I'm happy enough with the current proposal, but in the past I have
> purposefully used label to take benefit of the focus transfer (though
> it was also the semantically right thing to do). Specifically, I had
> to deal with a design (which was a given - I had no power to change
> it) with a "subscribe" input (email) with a header/label sitting
> directly underneath a column of navigational links. This header and
> the navigational links were styled nearly identical. The navigational
> links
> were of course meant to be clicked - but the header for the
> subscription box wasn't? So it became a label. It still sucks, as the
> visibility of the cursor isn't very high,

So this isn't just a bad design, but a design you knew was bad
beforehand, one which could have been fixed by a single line of CSS
(and/or a single-line onclick handler).

>> I don't see why. The reason to use <label> has nothing to do with
>> focus passing, it has to do with semantic markup, aiding
>> accessibility tools, and so forth.
>
> Focus passing is probably the _one_ 'reason' which has any effect at
> all to convince the many clueless authors out there to start using
> labels.

That's why, as I said earlier, UAs should style <label> with the same
typeface as native UI labels by default. That would be more obviously
label-like than non-native focus behavior.

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/