[whatwg] pattern attribute

From: Super-User <root@www3.itn.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:07:53 +0100
>>>3. Finally, is it necessary to have an ERROR_ for invalid regexes
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > No, if the regexp is invalid, it is just ignored.
>
> This is both a good thing and a bad thing. Ignoring the regexp makes
> sense, but also makes debugging complex regexps a nightmare. Maybe
> WHATWG should provide a reference implementation regexp checker and/or
> debugger for these purposes?
>
> Thoughts?

I am inclined to agree. I can't see any benefit in silently failing an invalid
regex. I don't think you necessarily need a standard checker / debugger (just
a standard regex!) but you do need to know when a regex is invalid. After all,
this is likely to be a "development time" rather than a "run time" issue, as
it is not dependent on input, so there should be circumstances where throwing
an error is a bad thing.

Ave.