[whatwg] Re: LABEL and radio/checkbox onclick

From: Malcolm Rowe <malcolm-what@farside.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:00:43 +0100
Ian Hickson writes:
>> 4) There's absolutely no way to know how <label> should behave when
>> associated with an <object> element.
> I think we should say that <object> cannot be a form control any more.
> Does anyone know of a case where it was made into a form control?

No, but I see no reason that it couldn't be.

Consider that <object> just allows the user to view data that the browser is
incapable of displaying by itself. image/png, image/mng, and image/svg all
come to mind, but so do application/msword and text/rtf.

I can see no reason that an <object> might not be used to allow the user to
edit (for example) a spreadsheet, SVG diagram, or rich-text field. Simply
because the majority of plugins are output only doesn't mean that they all
have to be.

(From a technical point-of-view: Can [Netscape] plugins actually provide
data for form submission? I didn't think they could, so in practice, this
may be restricted to ActiveX controls).

Regards,
Malcolm