[whatwg] Suggestion: Replace "move-up" and "move-down" with "move"

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, Matthew Thomas wrote:

> Furthermore, perhaps the "move-up" and "move-down" buttons could be
> replaced by a single "move" control. This could appear as a grippy (e.g.
> a square of raised bumps) next to a row, so it could be dragged with the
> mouse to move the row up or down. And on platforms (or in accessibility
> situations) where focusing it was appropriate, it could be focused so a
> row could be moved up or down with the arrow keys.
>
> Sample rendering (magnified):
>
> - - ---- -------------------------.   ,---.   ,---.   o o o o
>                                   |  | ___ | | _|_ |  o o o o
>                                   |  |     | |  |  |  o o o o
> - - -- ---------------------------'   "---"   "---"   o o o o
>
> This would be more direct manipulation than move-up and move-down
> buttons would be. More importantly, if you were wanting to move a row
> more than one place with the mouse, dragging a grippy once would be much
> more convenient than clicking a "Move Up"/"Move Down" button several
> times, since the latter button would annoyingly jump away every time you
> clicked it.

That is indeed pretty cool. I've made a note of it, and will revist it for
Web Forms 3.

Off hand, the main problem I see is how to define where the "row" is. For
example, the template can just be an inline element. There could also be
elements between the repeated rows.