[whatwg] pattern attribute

From: Max Romantschuk <max@provico.fi>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:03:30 +0300
Ian Hickson wrote:
> The silent dropping of errors was one of the main catalysts to the success
> of the Web, IMHO.
>
> One of WHATWG's design principles is based on this:
>
> # Users should not be exposed to authoring errors
> #
> # Specifications must specify exact error recovery behaviour for each
> # possible error scenario. Error handling should for the most part be
> # defined in terms of graceful error recovery (as in CSS), rather than
> # obvious and catastrophic failure (as in XML).
>  -- http://www.w3.org/2004/04/webapps-cdf-ws/papers/opera.html

I hate to admit it, but you have a very good point. I guess I'm put off
by the idea due to being a programmer at heart ;)

> I'm open to suggestions; what do you think should happen with invalid
> pattern attributes? Bear in mind the design principle mentioned above;
> end users shouldn't be exposed to these errors.

Perhaps there should be a debugging attribute which could be added to a
form during development? User agents which supported the attribute could
then trigger a suitable error during form validation and abort
submission as defined in the current spec [1]. This way there would be a
simple way for authors to check their regexps without having to revert
to a bunch of additional tools.

This is just a quick thought though. I realize the risk of authors
leaving the debugging attribute in place, so that may be a reason not to
even consider this. Another option would be for WF2 to define a special
debugging mode which could be activated in the user agent.

In any case, I feel that some kind of mechanism for checking the
regexp's syntax would be very beneficial.

.max

[1] http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#form-submission

--
Max Romantschuk