[whatwg] doctype parsing

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 11:15:00 +0000 (UTC), Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Aug 2004, Olav Junker [iso-8859-1] Kj?r wrote:
> >
> > Is comments allowed before the doctype in HTML? In MSIE, a strict
> > doctype preceded by a comment will not trigger standards mode, but in
> > Mozilla it will. From the HTML 4 spec, its not clear whether comments is
> > allowed before the doctype. (Of course this must be defined somewhere in
> > SGML, but is seems that with XHTML appendix C, HTML has officially cut
> > its ties to SGML?)
>
> Good question. Does anyone have a copy of Goldfarb who can answer this?

I realise Goldfarb is hardly cheap, but I would expect anyone
attempting to build a browser have a copy, it's kinda crucial to
parsing HTML.

Maybe you could look in the Opera library Ian...

Or is Opera not even pretending that HTML is an SGML application, and
the entire we follow standards is officially garbage, as well as in
practice.

Jim.