[whatwg] The "form" attribute

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 00:28:21 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Olav Junker Kj?r wrote:

> I assume that the type of the "form" HTML attribute is IDREF.

Effectively, yes.

> [...] So the DOM property corresponding to the IDREF attribute is of
> type DOMString, while a sepereate DOM property (which doesn't correspond
> directly to a HTML attribute) points directly to the reference element.

Note that in DOM2 HTML, the htmlFor attribute was alone; there was no
attribute pointing to the element. IMHO this is an error -- the ID is
mostly useless, it's the control that you want, hence the addition of the
new attribute in WF2.

So when introducing a new attribute, I don't see much value in providing
access to the DOMString version. Might as well just go straight to making
the DOM attribute useful.