[whatwg] Re: media types

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:56:29 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Mark Schenk wrote:

> Basically I want to be able to have some scripts associated with certain
> media types. For instance, I would like some scripts to *only* work in
> projection, or *only* in handheld.

Note that (CSS-driven) XBL is probably the long term solution here.

> So basically there would probably be only media type active at the same
> time. However, there is a big problem when using a multimodal browser
> [1] which allows different modes visual/aural(/tactile) at the same
> time.
>
> Different mediatypes would be mutually exclusive within a mode, e.g. you
> can't have screen and projection at the same time (they're in the same
> mode), but you can have projection and speech, or handheld and speech at
> the same time (they're in different modes).

At the moment the DOM doesn't support this kind of UA. There is only one
View -- the defaultView, which in Web Apps is defined as being the same as
the global window object -- and thus only one set of computed styles, and
thus only one set of stylesheets that apply.

Frankly I would consider such a UA to be non-compliant if it used the
same window object for both rendering modes.