[whatwg] Accesskey in Web Forms 2

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:31:00 +0000 (UTC)
On Sat, 24 Jul 2004, Kai Hendry wrote:

> I suggest removing the accesskey attribute. :)

Since that would make existing valid HTML4 applications invalid, we can't
really do that. However:

> 1) Users can not easily tell what the accesskeys are.
> 2) Accesskeys can conflict with the UA binds.

I agree that we should address these.

I think UAs should automatically highlight the accesskey (or add it in
brackets if it isn't already in the string). I am thinking of writing some
text -- optional, of course, since this wouldn't apply to all UAs or all
platforms -- that specifies this.

I also think that there should be an accesskey value which is basically
"auto", and which picks a non-clashing access key based on the element
content.

What do people think? Would these two solutions be workable?